With temperatures dropping, it is that time of the year to turn up the heat in your home. There are many ways to heat a home, but furnaces and heat pumpsare the two main forms of central home heating that are used in many homes today. You may be wondering which system is right for your home and that depends on what you are looking for in a heating system. Read on to learn more about gas furnaces vs. heat pumps and the benefits of each!
A gas furnace works by using flame to heat air and a fan to push that heated air through ducts and out of the floor vents into your home. Newer furnaces can be very energy efficient—about 98 percent of the energy being taken is used to produce or distribute heat. Furnaces also use intermediary fluid such as air, steam or hot water to provide heat.
BENEFITS OF A FURNACE
- Operating noise is lower (especially with newer models)
- Fast response time and energy efficient operation
- Heat spreads evenly throughout the home, so there is more even comfort
- Provides years of reliable heating; durable and long-lasting
- Cost effective: Cost less to operate, so they make up for the initial cost very quickly
Unlike a gas furnace, a heat pump runs on electricity instead of fuel. A heat pump can be used for both heatings your home in the winter and cooling in the summer. Also, a heat pump supplies heat from outside air, whereas a furnace uses a flame to increase temperature. An outdoor compressor is used to draw in heat from the air and compress it.
BENEFITS OF A HEAT PUMP
- Lower risk of fire or CO poisoning since oxygen is not being burned
- Convenience: Can be used for both heating in the winter and cooling in the summer
- Perfect for moderate heating and cooling needs
- Better air quality since smoke and fumes aren’t released into the air
- No gas required
WHY CHOOSE BOB’S HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING?
Are you having a hard time deciding whether you should invest in a gas furnace or purchase a heat pump for your home? Let the experts at Bob’s Heating & Air Conditioning help you make a decision that is best for your home. We have been serving satisfied customers since 1957 and we pride ourselves in being one of the leading comfort companies of choice in Western Washington. Also, check out our Pre-Season Furnace Sale which is going on now until November 15th, 2016!
TRUST BOB’S HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING, INC.
Bob’s Heating & Air Conditioning installs furnaces, air conditioners, and other systems that provide comfort and increase indoor air quality in Western Washington homes. We offer air conditioning and gas furnace repair and maintenance by expert technicians dedicated to providing only the best service. Bob’s Heating & Air Conditioning proudly partners with organizations focused on sustainability and innovation, including Built Green, Energy Star, and Puget Sound Energy.