COVID-19    |     Guardian Maintenance Plans    |     Filter Replacement Program     |     Promotions   |      Call Today: 800-840-3346        

The Complete Buyer’s Guide to a New Furnace Purchase


If you are reading this, you are likely in the market or shopping around for a new furnaceBob’s Heating & Air Conditioning wants to make sure you make an informed decision, which is why we wrote a complete buyer’s guide to a new furnace purchase! Read on to discover the difference between three common furnace features to help you select the best home comfort option for your family.


Something you will see regularly when shopping for a new furnace is the AFUE rating. AFUE stands for Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency and measures how efficient the furnace is at converting energy into heat over the course of a typical year. For example, an AFUE of 90% means that 90% of the energy in the fuel becomes heat for the home and the other 10% escapes. Bob’s Heating carries furnaces that range anywhere from 80% AFUE all the way up to an impressive 98.3% AFUE! The AFUE rating you select depends on your allotted price range and desired system efficiency.


When shopping for a new furnace, you will likely come across varying blower speeds. The blower simply blows air through the ducts in both heating and cooling modes. A single speed furnace blower runs at one speed. A variable speed blower moves at differing speeds to control the flow of cooled and heated air. A variable speed blower uses two-thirds less energy when compared to a single speed furnace. Plus, it is much quieter and prevents fewer drafts and temperature swings. We recommend purchasing a new furnace with variable blower speeds for superior home comfort.


If you are in the market for a new furnace, you are probably confused by the difference of single stage, two stage, or modulating furnaces. Let us briefly break this down for you.

Single Stage Furnaces

single stage furnace is very basic and contains two settings. It runs at full capacity until it reaches the set temperature on the thermostat. Then, it automatically shuts off once the temperature is met. With this method, you achieve somewhat uneven heating. The house undergoes blasts of warm air for immediate satisfaction but does a poor job at maintaining comfort levels. It is the least efficient type of furnace on the market.

Two Stage Furnaces

two-stage furnace can run at two different levels. Typically two stage furnaces are quieter, provide more even heating, and rapid heating is minimized due to the two different programmable levels. The longer cycle also provides better air filtration because the air circulates through the filter more times in one day. Many of the furnaces we carry are two stage furnaces.

Modulating Furnaces

Last, but certainly not least, are modulating furnaces. Modulating furnaces run in very precise increments. They typically run continuously, but on a very low setting. With a modulating furnace, you can count on the temperature to remain consistent throughout every room of the house. Modulating furnaces allow for air to constantly flow. They are also the most efficient type of furnace on the market. Furthermore, we offer a modulating furnace at a 98.3% AFUE rating!


The right new furnace ultimately depends on the insulation and size of your home, heating requirements, and of course your budget. The heating and air conditioning professionals at Bob’s Heating help you select the best furnace for your home. Call us at {F:P:Site:Phone} or contact us online today to get concrete advice from your friendly HVAC professionals. We look forward to working with you!

5 Mind-Blowing Hot Water Heater Facts Your Grandma...
Excellent HVAC Technician Attributes We Look For I...