There are a lot of choices available for homeowners when it comes to installing a whole-home air conditioner. Knowing what each can offer you and your home is a key factor in deciding what system is best. Heat pumps can be great options for home cooling, but it’s important to understand how a heat pump works, and the benefits it offers, before purchasing. Installing air conditioning in Seattle isn’t a small decision, so it’s important to work with professionals who can help you from beginning to end. Bob’s Heating & Air Conditioning has been helping customers with AC installation, repair, replacement and maintenance since 1953, and we can help you, too.
What Is a Heat Pump?
A heat pump is a device that transfers heat from one area to another. Heat pumps remove heat from the air in the same manner as a traditional air conditioner; the difference is that a heat pump can also provide heat. This is because heat pumps have a component called a reversing valve, and this valve allows the unit to switch modes between heating and cooling.
How Does a Heat Pump Work?
A heat pump uses refrigerant to facilitate heat transfer. During the summer, the heat pump removes the heat and humidity from your home and transfers it outside; during the winter, the heat pump absorbs heat from the surrounding area and transfers it inside to your home.
What Are the Benefits of a Heat Pump?
- Very versatile – heat pumps can be used with a number of different systems, including geothermal, ducted and ductless.
- Very energy efficient – heat pumps do not use fossil fuels to operate, and need only a small amount of electricity.
- Even cooling – heat pumps work on a low, continuous basis, so the cooling (and heating) they provide is more even than that of a traditional system.
- Even humidity levels – for the same reason as above, heat pumps provide better humidity balancing. In fact, heat pumps dehumidify 30% more than a traditional AC system.
- Offers both heating and cooling – as we mentioned above, heat pumps offer both heating and cooling for your home.
Installing a new air conditioning system in Seattle is a big decision; this is why it’s important to work with trained professionals from start to finish. If you are ready for a new AC system, call Bob’s Heating & Air Conditioning today and schedule an appointment with one of our installation experts.